11/09/2013

SSAS– Resolving target machine actively refused

medium_5462764117

I always wanted to have my hands on SSAS, SSIS and SSRS as I always feel short-hand in these areas. Yesterday I decided to get my hands dirty with one of this – SSAS.  Few month back I have created a virtual lab on my 4 year old Dell Laptop with 3 VMs and about total 4 instances of SQL Server – 2 on Host machine and 2 on Guest, one of them is having SSAS installed on one of the named instance.

With lot of excitement I tried connecting to SSAS – it was unsuccessful attempt!! It shows me an error message which says - A connection cannot be made to redirector. Ensure that 'SQL Browser' service is running. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

SSAS_Error

As we always do – Googled and it lead me to the connect item filed by Aaron Bertrand ( Blog | Twitter ). Reading through the post I came to know that if I try to connect to the named instance SSAS it’s chance that I get this very error. I also have the similar case, I have renamed my machine hence this error showed up with the named instance.

Workaround:  As suggested in the comment section, I have granted NTFS permission on folder program files (x86)\microsoft sql server\90\shared\asconfig for the SQL Browser service account and I am sorted!!

Reference: Microsoft Connect ID 679792 

photo credit: JLaw45 via photopin cc

—Hemantgiri S. Goswami (http://www.sql-server-citation.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your time, thanks for posting your comment. I will review and reply to your comment as soon as I can.

Thank you
Hemantgiri